I have been thinking about the concept of balance lately.
This buzzword has always baffled me because I don’t think I've ever mastered
the work-life balance everyone says I am supposed to have. My failure at this
has always made me feel like something is wrong with me. This changed when I
read a chapter from a book assigned for one of my classes, titled “Why I Hate
the Word Balance.” In this chapter was the language I have been looking for to
explain why balance, for me, just did not work. The author, Lance Witt, offered
a different word for what we can achieve to be whole and healthy: rhythm. That
word, of course, spoke loads into my musician’s heart. That’s it. Rhythm
describes the passage of seasons, minutes into hours, and hours into days.
Rhythm describes the ebbs and flows that are natural to life. Unlike balance, I
don’t have to feel “off” if I am in a period of flow or if I am in a period of
ebb. That is natural and normal. The first scripture that comes to mind is the
one set to music by the Byrds "Turn!" Turn! Turn! The scripture is
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. Both the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) and the New Testament
have a lot to say about seasons and the rhythm of life.The gist of this devotion is this. Friends, life has a
rhythm. Don’t frustrate yourself by trying to shove it onto a balance scale.
Recognize that being a whole, healthy person does not mean that your choices
will make everything smooth all of the time. Despite your best efforts and
correct choices, there will still be times when you are thrown off. This is ok.
This is normal. Heal yourself through those times, recognizing that it is just
a part of the rhythm. Be kind to yourself and soothe yourself knowing that in
every season and in every rhythm God is in the band. Sometimes he’s playing the
snare. Sometimes God’s playing the bass drum. But in all ways God is present,
providing beat patterns that can soothe us towards rest or excite us towards
action. Go with the flow, looking for the voice of God to do what is necessary.
Have a good weekend, everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment